Follow the life and times of Hamilton singer/songwriter Jacob Moon, as he reflects on art, music, spiritual things, travel and creativity.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Story so far


I am slowly remembering more and more about those years in the 70s. I now recall that my first-ever music purchase was 'My Way', by the late Elvis Presley. Why Elvis? I thought he looked pretty cool in that sequined jumpsuit with the diamond-encrusted eagle on the back. He had the kind of blue-black hair that Superman had, and the karate manoeuvers of The Batman. So you can forgive my grade one brain for mistaking him for a superhero, and wanting to fight crime as Elvis when playing with my friends (who didn't stay friends for long).

So now I may just need to do an Elvis segment of some kind. Not sure how I will weave that in...

He was always covering songs that were popular on the radio, and put his big over-the-top stamp on each one...Bridge over Troubled Water, You've Lost that Lovin' Feeling come to mind. What if he did that with other songs from that era? Like Led Zeppelin? Sabbath? ACDC! Could be awesome, could be lame...could be awesomely lame!

I have decided I want the pace to be pretty peppy, with lots of jokes-per-minute, and references flying fast and furious. Whether that's music or TV shows, theme songs, commercials...whatever, as long as it serves the context of the song or era I'm in. This will require some serious researching, which I intend to do by reading and by interviewing those who are approximately my age, and have better memories than I.




When I think of the 70s, my thoughts turn to prog. Prog in all its furry-footed, flowery, mushroom-shaped proggy-ness. Progressive music was BIG back in those days. But where are those bands now? It strikes me that it probably isn't impossible to contact them, and ask them to be a part of my one-man show. Imagine: I am playing the opening strains to Roundabout and Rick Wakeman comes on the screen behind me to join in the song with some burning Mellotron licks! This could be the best idea yet. I wonder if Rick answers his phone at 11pm at night?




No comments: