Follow the life and times of Hamilton singer/songwriter Jacob Moon, as he reflects on art, music, spiritual things, travel and creativity.

Monday, June 7, 2010

Day 7: Random Thoughts

I think the show needs to open with a rapid-fire montage that's kind of stream-of-consciousness...Songs, soundbites, TV themes, played live with pre-recorded snippets, using imagery on 2 screens behind me (interspersed with white noise). Just a blur of stuff that is reminiscent of Zoo TV (U2's live show in the early 90's).

-------------------------------

Once I've toured the show to smaller venues and fine tuned it to some extent, I will head into the studio to perform the 'Soundtrack' recording, which will sell at the shows, so people can take the evening home with them. I have 7 CDs out, but none that will have all these songs, so it makes sense to anticipate what audiences will want and prepare it for them.

-------------------------------

Progress on these songs will develop really slowly if I continue to get hung up on perfection. Instead, I need to just start demo-ing the songs roughly and quickly. I will have a sense of what these songs are capable of sounding like from the rough demo, and there's no need to polish them as if they had an audience. They won't. It's just me (but then I'm the toughest audience).

----------------------------------

Music forms the soundtrack of your life.. It can be your walk-on music when you're entering a new stage...Like the hard-driving rock-n-roll bravado that gives you the courage to step out of the wings and face a sea of doubters. Or the hushed tones of a string orchestra that rolls out under you like a blanket, and lets you lay back and ponder the constellations. I want to get at what these songs mean, and how they hang together as a 'life soundtrack'. This will inform the stories, and the arc of the narrative, I think.

No comments: