Follow the life and times of Hamilton singer/songwriter Jacob Moon, as he reflects on art, music, spiritual things, travel and creativity.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Fringe

I have had some good conversations lately with people who have some knowledge about the path I am embarking on. Advice is something that I really value. I don't like to just jump into something without having some reassurance that some part of the road has been mapped out, and once I get that map, I study it for all I'm worth, hoping to avoid the pitfalls and pratfalls.

I spoke with David Newland, who has a band called the McFlys that covers 80s hits with acoustic instruments, to great success, apparently. Think Corey Hart played on the ukelele. The McFlys would be a very instructive show to see for what I'm trying to do, since I want to make sure that the playfulness and comedy are in there in generous doses. David says that some mutual friends of ours (Gregg Lawless and Jory Nash) have both mounted successful theatre shows that have been revues of Canadian songs or 70s troubadour songs, so there's two guys I need to meet with to continue the conversation, and find out how they did it.

I also spoke today with Dave Lapsley, from 'Defending the Caveman', a one-man show about male/female dynamics, and he told me all about the Fringe Festivals in Canada. He said I should try to get on the tour, but definitely apply for Edmonton and Winnipeg Fringe (good vibes there, from his report).

He says that for $700 or so, you apply and your application (which in my case might as well be written on a napkin, since my 'show' is but a vapour of ideas at this point) goes into a lottery. You might get chosen, you might not (thanks, you say, for that succinct summary of what is a lottery). If you don't get chosen, you get all your money back. Seems like a worthwhile gamble, since your show doesn't have to be 'ready', or 'written', or 'any good' when you make that application. It would most definitely be a good trial run for the show if I could get in...reduce it to the most basic elements and see if it works at that level---the story, the music, my persona---with an audience. It's exciting to think of this maybe being onstage next summer at the Fringe, and then onto the small theatres.

I guess I need that excitement to help fuel this creative stage...which is going well, if still a little shy on specifics.


No comments: